How To Turn An Old Chicken Coop Into A She Shed

We moved the chickens to the barn and turned an old chicken coop into a 'She Shed'.


Our oldest daughter, Faith (15 yrs.) shares a small bedroom with her 6 yr. old little sister. There's not a lot of room, and with their nine year age difference, they don't have a lot in common. So, I thought we'd make a 'She Shed' for Faith to use as her own art studio... a place to get away, a place to relax, a place to breath.

We took out the nest boxes, roosts, and all things chicken related, gave the whole thing a good scrub with Shaklee Basic H2 and Basic G to disinfect it, and let it dry.

Then we mixed up The Prairie Homestead's Whitewash (we added 1 bottle of purple rite dye to tint it), and the kids and I got busy painting it on. We didn't quite have enough to do the floor, so left it original. I was planning on painting it white, but never got that done. (story of my life...)

  

 It really brightened up the inside. After the white wash dried, we hung a new curtain, sheers, laid a new rug down on the floor, and brought out a saucer chair, stand, lamp, and a vase of flowers to make it cozy. We added my daughter's easel, rubber-maid drawers, and hubby attached a counter top for a small work space. (I would still like to add a chandelier and some more comfy seating, but I am trying to make it on a shoestring budget, so I'll wait till I find what I need thrift shopping.)

     

We hung my daughter's paintings, drawings, and photography on the walls!


I love the outcome. Some days, when the kids are being noisy, and I need some quite time, I'll go out there and curl up in the chair, shut the door, soak up the peacefulness, and see how long it will take before someone starts yelling 'mom'!!


You can see more of my daughter's paintings, drawings, photography, and writings here. She also does personalized logos and blog editing for individuals and businesses. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shaklee Basic H - 1001 uses

Crochet Pattern for Christmas Tree Skirt

Shaklee Basic H for Agriculture Use