How To Make A Cat Cake

I'm not super big into birthdays, but every year, I let my kids pick the birthday supper menu -complete with homemade ice cream, and the cake flavor and design of their choice. I then try my hardest to make the cake exactly what they want.

This year my youngest daughter wanted a "cat" cake, so here's what I came up with....


How To Make A Cat Cake.

Start with 1, cooled, 9x13 cake. (I only use and love USA pans for my cakes, no spraying, no flour, no sticking..... USA pans are the best!)


Cut the cake in half and use a knife to level off both halves. Then stack the halves with icing in the middle to keep them together. Do not icing to the edge. Put the cake into the freezer for 20 min. Then, remove from freezer and start shaping the cake....

Cut the back so that it's rounded, and cut a small half circle out of the front. Save all your pieces of cake. Also, cut a dip out for the cats shoulders, and used the extra pieces to put together the head, paws, ears, legs, tail and hip. Then, take a knife and angle all the edges.


Next, crumb coat the whole cake with butter cream frosting and put in the fridge for another 30 min to help the icing set.

Now you're ready to decorate!

My daughter requested a calico cat cake so I mixed up bowls of Wilson colors - ivory, grey, brown, black, white, and pink.

I started out using the hair tip #223, but it kept getting clogged, so I then used a star tip and mixed the colors on the cat, leaving the face, paws, and tip of the tail white. I wasn't pleased with the look, so I took my icing knife and swiped the colors together. I used black for the eyes and pink for the ears and nose....


Overall, I think it turned out good for the first time and our eight year old daughter was happy to have a cat cake for her birthday!

Note: I didn't get the angle on the head correct... the eyes and nose should have putruded out more, and the chin shorter and less noticeable. The ears should've been larger, and a good tip would have made all the difference.

You can see more of my cakes here... 
My Daughters Graduation Cake, Camouflage cake
Cake Anyone - Graduation Cake, Cakes for guys and more.
Cake Anyone Continued - lots of birthday cakes for little girls.
Even More Cake - Anniversary, Wedding, Baby Shower, Campfire, Candy, and more cakes. 

Show me a pic in the comments if you make a 3D cat cake!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shaklee Basic H - 1001 uses

Crochet Pattern for Christmas Tree Skirt

Shaklee Basic H for Agriculture Use