Remembering My Grandpa

My Grandpa Stump has been gone for four years this month... gone, but not forgotten. So here's some memories of my Grandpa....

My Grandpa only had an 8th grade education (and skipped 4th grade), yet he was the smartest man I knew. He was a preacher, multi-millionaire, and a great business man. He was a farmer, a landlord, and had the best garden around. He was a traveler, he started a mission in Africa, he helped more people than anyone else I know. He believed in God, and wasn't ashamed of who he was. Grandpa loved singing, playing games (four hand texas was his favorite), telling stories, eating popcorn, driving fast, helping people, traveling, preaching, Shaklee, working hard, having a good time, and his family.


 Some of my earliest memories are of sitting on Grandpa's lap. I loved playing games with Grandpa, him teasing me when he won. Going camping, and spending Christmas weekend at their house with all our cousins, and playing in the old red barn, were the best times ever! I loved going on Shaklee delivery's with Grandpa and loved it when he'd drive fast in the parking garage! 

 When I ran away from home at the age of 12, Grandpa and Grandma was the ones I called. Grandpa said that it was not right, but he was also the only person that also told me that he understood why I did. After a couple months, on the drive back home, Grandpa told me I had to go back, but that he would always stand up for me. I'll never forget our talk that day.

When I started dating Jim (my first husband) Grandpa said that I was going down the wrong road, but that didn't stop him and Grandma from inviting us down Sunday afternoons for games, popcorn, and ice cream. It was on one of those Sunday afternoons, after having a talk with Grandpa, that we had decided, that evening we would go our separate ways. However, after church we went out for ice cream with the church youth (like we always did), but no one came. After an hour, one of the girls came and told us that no one was coming -that they had been told not to associate with us. That's when I knew that I had no friends left, no one but Jim. We stopped going to that church and we started living our lives together. I figured that if none of my friends cared about me anymore - I would go be with the one person that did. Grandpa didn't agree with me, but he also didn't agree with the church, and how they acted either. He told me he was ashamed of how they acted and Grandpa said he understood the choice I made.

When I graduated high school (I paid for the last two years myself and graduated a year early.) Grandpa and Grandma were the only ones to send a graduation card and tell me congrats, and that they were proud of me.

When we told Grandpa and Grandma that we had gotten married and that I was pregnant, they were disappointed, but Grandpa said that he still loved me, and that we needed to make sure that we took care of our precious baby. Grandma said that she was just happy that the baby's daddy wasn't black, and that she would have a father to love her! (Looking back, I think that's funny! I did not know my Grandma was a racist! haha!)

 When I accepted Christ to save me and was baptized, Grandpa and Grandma were the only family that came.

When Faith was born, Grandpa and Grandma were the first family members that we took Faith to see - they loved her.


During the next few years, Grandpa and Grandma was still very much a part of our lives and always showed us love. They would often drive up to Greenville to visit us or have us down for supper on a weekday.

When my ex husband was facing jail time, Grandpa drove up to Greenville to talk with the prosecutor and the probation officer.

When we couldn't pay our bills, and needed money, Grandpa brought us Shaklee airsource units to sell. When we needed a vehicle, Grandpa helped us get one.

When we lived in a camper for a long 6 months, Grandpa and Grandma we're the only people who drove out to Wildcat Woods to visit us.

They took Faith and I to Pennsylvania to see my family two years in a row. I took many car trips with Grandpa and Grandma. As a kid, I loved riding in Grandpa's Cadillac. Over the years, I loved traveling with Grandpa - he was fun, a great conversationalist, drove fast, listened to good music, and we would always arrive at our destination quickly!

 When my first husband Jim and I divorced, Grandpa didn't say anything. His silence was very welcomed, as most other people pretty much said "I Told You So." 
I welcomed Grandpa's silence, and loved him for it.

When I started dating my husband, Stephen, Grandpa and Grandma openly accepted him when other family members wouldn't, and tried to make him feel welcome.

 At our wedding, when my parents, brothers, three of my sisters, my other Grandma, and the majority of my aunts,  uncles, and cousins didn't come, Grandpa and Grandma were there - happy and celebrating! I'm so thankful they came to my wedding.


After we married, and moved to Indiana, we were not with Grandpa and Grandma a lot, but over the years since then, whenever something important happened in our lives, Grandpa was always there for us.

When Grandpa heard that we were going to get our first chickens he offered us his chicken nest boxes to use. We still have them.

When our daughter Faith was so sick, and the doctors didn't know what to do, Grandpa begged us to try Shaklee. And when Shaklee gave us our healthy little girl back, Grandpa was the one who suggested and helped me start a Shaklee business.

Grandpa always came to our house for Easter lunch. He would spend the whole day, staying late to play games, and eat supper. We loved to have Grandpa in our home.

Grandpa always took the time to play chinese checkers or the animal game with Faith. He's the one who taught her how to be a good loser.


Grandpa took the time to listen to Wyatt (even though he couldn't understand most of the conversation), and would give Layia hugs. He loved giving his great grandkids protein bars, and rides in his golf cart, just as much as the kids loved getting the rides!

 I enjoyed going to my first Shaklee convention with Grandpa. We shared a room and had fun talking, and spending time together, racing to catch up to him with his little scooter, and him taking us (my cousin, sister, and I) out for ice cream. I enjoyed watching how complete strangers knew of him, and respected him.


And when Grandpa was feeling uncomfortable the last few months of his life, he was always glad to see me. Grandpa gave the best hugs and said he loved me often. I never doubted his love for me.

Even when he was in pain, Grandpa would always thank us for caring for him. He was always sorry for being an inconvenience to us, even though we told him it was no problem. I'm so thankful that I got to spend time with Grandpa before he died.

Some people say my Grandpa was pushy, that he was too opinionated, and selfish, but when I think of my Grandpa, I remember him as loving, giving, and someone who knew what he believed in.

 Although he did not always agree with my choices in life, I always knew that he loved me and I miss him more than I ever thought possible, my kids miss him too, but I'm so thankful that they all have great memories of him and we talk about him often!

Comments

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments:

Popular posts from this blog

Shaklee Basic H - 1001 uses

Crochet Pattern for Christmas Tree Skirt

Shaklee Basic H for Agriculture Use