Ugly, Sagging, Sofa Makeover



Our first sofa set we had for 7 years (We actually still have the original love seat, now 11 yrs old in my office.) but 3 years ago we bought a new furniture set.... but after only 3 years our newest set was shot. Actually it was shot after 2 years, it just took us another year to finally do something about it. It was awful to sit on... it felt like you had lumps in your butt and I was embarrassed to have company over.

Let me insert here that the hubby and I have always liked the idea of buying a cheap sofa set, use it for 5-7 years and get a new set.... because we have kids who make messes and I like to change my decor and get tired of the same items of furniture. So, that is and has been our plan.


We were rather disappointed that after only 3 years we'd have to buy new sofas, but I started researching sofa's online. However, after all the researching, we were worried that we'd sink another $2500 in sofas, only to have them not hold up as well. We really didn't want to go through that again, so I decided to try something else.

First, hubby took the fabric off the bottom of the sofas and pulled the springs tight and put in new wood to reinforce the frame and used screws.... here the whole thing was held together by staples.... 

Second, we took the covers off of the cushions and cut the foam. The springs inside were all twisted... (which when we bought theses sofa's I remember the salesman used the springs as a selling point, saying that the sofa wouldn't breakdown because of them).... ya right, that was a joke!


Anyway, the foam its self was still in decent shape, so we measured the inside and ordered Lux Foam- High Quality from Foam Factory. *Note - I really wanted the firmest I could get... however, if I did it again I would just get the Lux- Regular, as our seats are on the extra firm side. But overall, I'm happy with the way they are now.

We put the new foam inside the old foam and put the cover back on. Instant Success! The cushions looked great!

Next, I ordered 10lb. box of Poly-Fil from www.walmart.com and re stuffed the back of the sofa's. The cushions on the back of our sofa do not come off, but they do have the zipper enclosures underneath. I just unzipped the cushions and stuffed. This is easier said then done.... your body is in an awkward position and I have short arms, but the finished product is well worth it. 

And here's the finished sofa after the make over.... no more sagging, or springs poking my butt.... now I just need to find some new throw pillows for spring!


Quite the difference, don't you think?!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shaklee Basic H - 1001 uses

Crochet Pattern for Christmas Tree Skirt

Shaklee Basic H for Agriculture Use