What's Happening in the Garden




~ Chasing Rainbows Iris..... my favorite - they smell so refreshing! ~
                                       

Well it’s the first of June and although most of the garden is in....but, I still have a few more things to put out. 


One - being sweet potatoes. I always forget to start my own during winter. This year, I can't find them anywhere..... I think I may have learned my lesson this time!

Our family's favorite quick bread is:

Sweet Potato Bread.... and it is scrumptious!
3 c. granulated sugar
1 c. oil
3 eggs
3 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cloves
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla
2 c. (I use more) mashed sweet potatoes
1 c. chopped pecans
Mix all ingredients together well. Pour into 2 lightly greased loaf pans. Bake at 325* oven for 1 hr. and 15 min. -stick with tester to make sure center is done....may need to bake longer.
Makes 2 loaves

*Please Leave a comment and let me know how you liked the sweet potato bread!


We’ve planted lots of seeds and plants in our raised beds. Things are finally starting to grow! This is the latest that we have ever put our garden in. The green beans and lettuce are coming up and there are sprouts of cabbage, broccoli, and kohlrabi. 

                                     

 Today we picked our first strawberries for this year (we had fresh strawberry ice cream for lunch) ....so good! - I was happy to see ripe strawberries as we just redone our strawberry patch last fall. Read more here.



 The raspberries are looking good, so hopefully we'll enjoy an abundant crop of both black and red raspberries this year!

                       


We have also been enjoying lots of fresh apple mint tea! When I have an upset stomach, I go pick the leaves and crush them..... there is something about smelling the apple mint tea that helps me not to feel queasy! I always put lots in the freezer for winter too.
                                    Echo Tiller Cultivator W/ Kickstand
We went to my parents this weekend ( My Dad has a small engine shop) and hubby bought me a small Echo tiller/cultivator to use in our raised beds. It is little/light enough for me to pick up, and being we only use manure and compost, it works great! I tried it out today and love it!



one of my herb beds.....


So far we have these veggies planted in our garden along with many herbs and flowers:

my newest peony...

Tomatoes  
Peppers
Carrots
Kohlrabi
Zucchini
Pumpkins
Watermelon
Cantaloupe
Green beans
Red potatoes
Reg. potatoes
Sweet Corn
Cabbage
Lettuce
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Onions
Garlic


I am still wanting to plant sugar snap peas, sweet potatoes, and a few more tomatoes

Climbing Joseph's Coat Rose.....

I use my household multi-purpose cleaner in my garden......... just another reason I LOVE Shaklee Basic H2.......

   
    Basic-H2 is 100% organic, non-flammable, non-toxic, and non-irritating (a neutral pH the same as skin, about 6.5).  Basic-H2 is completely biodegradable, phosphate-free, non-volatile, and non-magnetic.   A 16 oz. bottle will make 48 gallons super-safe, really powerful cleaner!
            
  • Rose Bushes and other plants:  ½ teaspoon per gallon of water.  Spraying rose bushes will protect them from red spider mites & other infestations & diseases. 
  • House Plants:  2 drops in a gallon of water.  Water plants & they will flourish.  Use to wipe down leaves – cleans & shines!
  • Green Lawns:  1 tablespoon in “Ortho-type” sprayer applicator full of water.  Makes 2 gallons of Basic-H solution. 
~ for more info..... please visit www.srkindred.myshaklee.com or leave a comment below ~


Comments

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments:

Popular posts from this blog

Shaklee Basic H - 1001 uses

Crochet Pattern for Christmas Tree Skirt

Shaklee Basic H for Agriculture Use