Something every little Boy should have!

I have a all-man type of boy! When QW was one, I wanted to buy him a mat that he could drive his matchbox cars on. However, the ones you buy are either too small, or too costly and I didn't think they looked very fun, so I made him a car mat! It was fun and easy to make, and to this day (He will be 4yrs. next mo.) It is his favorite toy! He plays on the car mat everyday. His sister, dad and even mom sometimes plays on it too!  I am a firm believer that little boys need to play with toys that help them use their imagination in a good way.


before the roads were finished



The finished car mat
 I also made one for my little nephew this year for Christmas! I made his different, with more roads and a couple of fields. I also personalized his, so it has their bank, grocery store, his daddy's work, both of his Gmpa's places and favorite restaurants on it!

My kids playing on it, while I was still making it.

The finished product

I keep all his matchbox cars and truck in a small tub and the mat can be folded to put in the tub too. We have taken it with us to other peoples houses, so other little boys can play on it too. It is a pretty good size!


I would love to be able to sell these someday, but It cost's me close to $35.00 just for the supplies, and that doesn't include the time! It is very time consuming, but I also enjoy doing this kind of thing. I just don't know if people would spend that much money to buy one.


Thanks Tip Junkie for the link-up!

Comments

  1. Karla, Thanks for asking. I bought 1 1/2 yard of canvas fabric and used a pencil and ruler to make roads, buildings, trees, and other detail. I used paint markers to outline and fill in with color. The first mat that I made, I used permament marker, but every time that it got wet, the marker would smudge. Paint markers are expensive, but it is very much worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'm visiting from the Blog Bash.

    I love the homemade car mat! My grandma had one when I was little, but it was plastic and you could never get the creases out of it. lol

    Rachel @ TheSingingSparrow.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. So clever! I know how you feel about selling ...it doesn't pay for labour!! I wonder if wax crayons would work?? If you iron over it - maybe for the big, non detail spaces??

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right about selling the price will never cover the labour! But custom orders may still be a possibility?? Do it!!
    Was wondering if wax crayon, ironed over would work?? Maybe just for the big, non detail areas?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments:

Popular posts from this blog

Shaklee Basic H - 1001 uses

Crochet Pattern for Christmas Tree Skirt

Shaklee Basic H for Agriculture Use