Should Kids Go To Funerals?

We took our 7 yr old and 10 yr old to a viewing for the first time today. We explained what to expect before we got there, dressed them in their Sunday best, and went through the line. But when it came time to view and walk by the casket, we let them sit with family instead of going up to it. I'm a grown-up and I still hate walking by an open casket. (And I used to work at a cemetery doing funerals and filling the grave sites!)

 There's always been a debate about whether or not kids should go to viewings and funerals.

My hubby and I have lost 6 grandparents between us: four since we've been married. Our oldest daughter was age 9 -14, and we gave her the choice if she wanted to go or not. Our special needs son and youngest was ages 2-7, so we have always had someone watch them. I always figured that they were too young to really understand, and I don't regret waiting until they were older.

At one viewing, this pastor came in with four of his grand kids; ages 1-6, and took them up to the casket and told them all about the lady that died... that she was in Heaven and was sleeping, etc. He even had one of the kids touch the deceased. Those poor little kids kept asking questions and had no clue what was going on.

I think that's sad. I know that some people think that death is a part of life and that little kids need to understand it, so they might as well get used to it. I was raised with a similar view. However, drugs, sex, and drinking is all real too. It's a real issue in life, but I would like to wait until my kids are old enough to understand before I talk to them about it.

I'm not saying one way is right and one is wrong... I think that it comes down to the parents, what they believe, what they choose to tell their kids, and if the kids can understand whats going on.

What about you? At what age do you think kids should be going to funerals? Please leave a comment and let me know what you think below.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shaklee Basic H - 1001 uses

Crochet Pattern for Christmas Tree Skirt

Shaklee Basic H for Agriculture Use