Simple Homeschooling

This month, we are back to homeshooling our two youngest kids. Not only was I a homeschool kid, but I have homeschooled my own kids off and on for over 13 yrs. Our oldest daughter has graduated and is in her second semester of college.

I firmly believe the number one rule for homeschooling should be this:

- Keep It Simple! -

This year we are using Gather Round Homeschool Unit Studies and Abeka Math. Our supplies consist of our Unit Study workbooks and Teachers guide, an individual notebook for each of us, my Bible, a planner/calender (I use it to keep track of our days as required by the State), a Chromebook (used for researchand watching videos), Math workbooks, and Reading books. 

We keep all our school supplies in a carousel. When school is finished, we put the carousel and our books back on the school shelf in the closet and go on with our day! It is super simple and stress free!

Keeping school simple has helped me be a better teacher. No more desks, chairs, white boards, posters, charts, flash cards, globes, school boxes, and everything else most people think you need, taking up space and cluttering our lives. 

Our son is special needs and is using a C-Pen this year. So far it is a great tool and he is able to be more independent. I highly recommend it for anyone who cannot read.

I also bought these timer bookmarks for the kids to use this year. They read 20 minutes in a chapter book of their choice every day and the timer bookmarks make that easy and fun for them. Their current chapter books are 'Hatchett' and the 'Animal Ark' series books.

"The best thing I've done when it comes to homeschooling is to ditch the idea that it needs to be like a public school!" - RAK

Other posts you may like:

Homeschool - Keep It Simple

Why We Love Penn Foster High School

Planning A Graduation Party

Kids With Learning Disabilities 

Putting Our Homeschooled Kids In Public 

What Parents With Special Needs Kids Want You To Know

Another School Year Has Begun

To My Kids And All The Kids Out There

I Cried Today

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shaklee Basic H - 1001 uses

Crochet Pattern for Christmas Tree Skirt

Shaklee Basic H for Agriculture Use