I Cried Today

 I cried today.... it's not the first time and I'm sure it won't be the last time....

Our 14 year old son is on the spectrum.  He has never been able to pass a 1st grade reading test. We have had him tested so many times and so many different places. He's been to multiple therapist's, tried four different schools, and many different curriculum, and learning resources, but nothing has helped. 

This year, we are back to homeshooling, and we are doing a completely new unit study curriculum called 'Gather Round Homeschool'. I am super excited about it and feel it will give our kids a boost of confidence and help them learn more about the world around them and help them use their individual skills more! I have been gathering resources to use along with our curriculum. I found these adorable timer bookmarks for the kids and we will be doing alot of reading, national geographic movies, feild trips, crafts and Library time.

But, while I was researching, I came across a reading tool called the C-Pen. And although it had a $250 price tag, we decided that we were gonna get it and have Wyatt try it.

So tonight, while we were all in the living room, our youngest was sitting on the sofa reading quietly to herself, and Wyatt brought out a book and sat with his C- Pen and headphones and 'read' a 6th grade level reading book!

The tears were tears of sadness. Sadness, that he will never be able to just read like a 'normal' person, something most of us take for granted, something he will never experience. Sadness, that he will always struggle. Sadness to know that my son will never be able to just pick up a book and read.

But the tears were also happiness! Happiness that he could 'read' a book in his own way. Happiness that he can have confidence. That he doesn't feel left out. Or feel less than because he can't read. Happiness, that there is a tool that can help him live life to its fullest.

I'm sad that it took so long to find a tool to help him. Why don't teachers and schools have resourses to help more special needs kids?!

When our kids were in public school, I was told multiple times that the school had more resources to help a blind student, than a struggling reader. We were also told that since our special needs kid didn't have behavior issues, he did not qualify to have an aid, because he was too well behaved. What?? Somethings wrong with that picture!

I think resources should be affordable and available to everyone.

Yes, I cried today. I cried tears of sadness and tears of joy. Having a special needs kid is so different. Its stressful, hard, trying, frustrating, and requires lots of advocating. But its also rewarding. 

So, today I watched my special needs kid 'read' and today, I am thankful for a C-Pen!

*I was not compensated in anyway for this post. All opinions are my own.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shaklee Basic H - 1001 uses

Crochet Pattern for Christmas Tree Skirt

Shaklee Basic H for Agriculture Use