Ashes To Ashes

My Dads funeral was on a cold winter day. 

The actual funeral service really didn't mean much to me. It seemed the preachers just talked about random stuff (like sexual assault and how we shouldn't be cremated -it was weird). My mom made it very clear which kids she wanted with her and those of us that were not welcome.... 

Anyway, it was probably the weirdest funeral I've ever been too, and I've been to alot! (My ex husband and I used to manage a Cemetary and help at the funeral home, so I do know a bit about funerals.)

But, when we got to the graveside, the most beautiful, big snowflakes were falling all around us. The little country Cemetary was covered in a white, fluffy, blanket of snow.. it felt like God made it perfect just for me! 

The graveside service and story about my Dad, ment more to me than any other thing that was said during the funeral. The following poem was read by my Dad's long time customer and preacher friend, at the graveside service. 

 The commitment of ones immortal soul to God is a personal matter; no one can do it for another. It is however, our solemn duty to commit the mortal body to the ground. We commit you to the care of God and the earth.

We are going to cover you with the beautiful garments of nature: 
The spotless white of winter,
The lovely flowers of spring, 
The bight green grass of summer,
The colorful leaves of autumn.
May you rest in peace!

Your memory to your loved ones will be as fragrent as the rose and as long lasting as the evergreen. May the Lord watch over you and your people until we meet again in the full glory of the resurrection morning.

Until then,
Beloved Husband,
Beloved Father,
Beloved Grandpa,
Beloved Friend,
We bid you farewell and God's peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shaklee Basic H - 1001 uses

Crochet Pattern for Christmas Tree Skirt

Shaklee Basic H for Agriculture Use