How To Make Your Home A Place You Love

I grew up in the 80s and 90's. I loved big hair, teal mustangs, pointed shoes, and ladies in skirt suits with shoulder pads.... when it came to my clothes and decorating my house. Everything had to match! 

But here's the problem....  I could never get my house to look good.. it seamed something was always missing... or just not quite right.

Over the years I've discovered a few things....
Teal cars are no longer cool, big hair doesn't work on everyone, comfortable shoes is better, shoulder pads are just yucky, and matching is way over rated.

When it comes to your home, forget the matching - here's the secret to making your home look great!



USE WHAT YOU LOVE
Don't keep things you don't like. That means that stool you really don't like, or the ugly mug your Aunt Betty gave you, or the picture frame that's been in the family for years and you cant get rid of it, or someone will be upset.... let it go... if it doesn't bring you joy or make you smile. Get rid of it! Don't settle for just ok, or hold out for what you love. You don't want a house full of just ok items. Been there, done that. It's not worth it.

NATURAL AND NEUTRAL COLORS ALWAYS LOOK GOOD 
I know I know, beige walls really don't do much for the soul at all.... but hear me out. Neutral can be much more than beige or white... neutral can also be grey and black, which is currently what much of our house is.... it can also be navy. Neutral background colors give other things like plants and decor a place to shine.



ADD IN SOME TEXTURE
Back when everything in my life had to match, if I had one thing silk, everything had to be silk..... don't fall into that trap. Texture allows your eyes to rest on something. It makes a room look interesting and makes it feel comfortable. I like to add texture with natural wood, sheep skin, a cow hide rug, a cozy throw, pillows, leather, bamboo or wicker, stone, and baskets, etc. Texture just looks better.

LET THE ROOM HAVE SPACE TO TALK
Clutter makes a room feel dated and noisy. Get rid of all the clutter. Keep your counters and tables clear. Just because you have a empty wall or a half filled bookcase doesn't mean you need to fill it with stuff. Get rid of clutter. Let your room speak.


USE FURNITURE AND DECOR THAT TELLS YOUR STORY 
I love to use things in my home that tell my story. For example: I have a chainsaw chain on my living room wall, a unique little elephant on my dresser, and my grandpa's old larder in my dining room. A barn pulley, driftwood, and oil cans are a part of my decor. These items make my home unique, but more importantly, they tell my story.

MIS-MATCHED THRIFTED FINDS ARE THE BEST
I bought the most comfortable and good looking chair for our living room from a thrift store for $40... and it's perfect. It doesn't match anything, but it goes with everything! My favorite piece of furniture is a little cupboard my hubby salvaged from the dumpster at his work. He had it in his shop for awhile, but a few years ago, I finally sweet talked him in to letting me have it and it's been in our living room ever since.... it has peeling paint, and is worn, but I love that stand. I find my most favorite things are the things that are mismatched and have a story to tell....


DON'T FORGET REAL LIVE PLANTS
Green plants just make a home a home. Fake plants are dusty and really, don't do a bit of good. Real plants, clean your air, help you feel alive, brighten a space, and bring a level of comfort to your home. And while we are on the subject, -with plants, bigger is always better! Let your plants make a statement. Go big!

AND FINALLY, LOVE YOUR HOME 
 If you remember nothing else said above... remember this. Make your home a place to love.... I keep a vase of fresh flowers on my table, because they make me happy! Home should be a welcoming thought when your away. A place of peace during the chaos of life. A refuge from the outside world. A place full of memories, and hope, and dreams. Home should be the safest place in the world. Home should be the place you love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shaklee Basic H - 1001 uses

Crochet Pattern for Christmas Tree Skirt

Shaklee Basic H for Agriculture Use