To My Kids (and all the kids out there)....

A few days ago, I stopped by my kids elementary school. While waiting, I was seated beside a kid in my son's special needs class. When a staff member asked the kid a question, he simply screamed, then turned to me and smiled. I'm sorry - (not sorry), but what that kid needs is a good slap on the mouth.... I don't care if your kid is Autistic, has ADHD, has Aspergers, is slow, hyper, or any other thing. Kids need to learn how to act. They need to realize they really are not that great. The world DOES NOT revolve around them!

I have a special needs kid and I know that life is difficult for him, its hard for him to understand simple things, and to communicate, but we have taught him to use his words, to respond to people, and to simply be a good kid.

And you know what?!?!? We get compliments almost everywhere we go with him. Just this week, his Endo Doctor told him that out of all the kids she sees in her practice, no other kid has ever been so polite and well behaved. (And, yes, he was scared and nervous, but he worked through it!) The doctor actually gave him $40 in gift cards because she was so impressed with him - something her staff said she has never done before....

I firmly believe that all kids can learn to be polite and respectful, no matter their lot in life... they just need someone to teach them how. If we as a society continue to treat mediocrity as mighty, we will only continue to fail.

So, to my kids.... I love you each. You’re funny. And talented. But, here's the thing.... You really aren't that great!

Follow the rules. They apply to you. No mater how tough your plot in life is - you aren’t above the rules. The sooner you get this, the easier life will be.

I'm not sorry if you felt less than your peers because we did/do not do sports, buy name brand clothing, have big birthday parties, eat out regularly, go on big extravagant vacations, have an Xbox, spend hundreds of dollars on Christmas gifts, or give you an allowance.

I want you to feel lonely. Feel unworthy. Feel unaccomplished. Feel small. Feel lost. Feel broken. Feel least. Because among the broken, you will find Jesus. My prayer for you is that you see Him everywhere. If you are never uncomfortable, weary, left out, and upraised, how will you recognize the desolate? And if you are never desolate, how will you recognize how much you need a Savior?

I will continue to put pictures of you on social media and brag about you. I will still make your supper – and bring your favorite drink to you for no reason. It's my momma nature – but I hope I never make you feel you are more than those around you.  Life is not about you.


Faith, you are a great writer... you have a way with words, you are an amazing artist, and a gifted singer, and player of music! I could listen to you play all day long. I love that you care so deeply. You are one of my best friends!

Wyatt, my son, I love your sweet spirit. You have a great imagination and I love all the inventions you have made. I love that your all boy, and that you want to always please. Keep trying. You are smarter than you know.

Layia, you fill our house with your happy, go lucky self! I'm thankful that you are just you. That you don't have to fit in any mold, that life is a fun event for you! Never stop loving life! You, my baby girl are my sunshine!

Work hard, be willing to get dirty, give away your lunch, sit with the lonely, stand up for injustice, follow the rules, take chances, be respectful, walk through the fire… You really aren't that great, but you’re doing just fine.
 - Love, Mom  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shaklee Basic H - 1001 uses

Crochet Pattern for Christmas Tree Skirt

Shaklee Basic H for Agriculture Use