Milking Nigerian Dwarfs and a Milk Stand

So, this past week, I started milking our Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goat aka 'Jelly Bean'!

It actually went very well. She didn't try to kick at all, but she does however try to lay down, while on the milk stand.... (not sure what that's all about!)


And speaking of milk stand..... my handsome hubby and daughter spent an evening and built me one.... it is top of the notch and I love it!



We are using the 'Once Daily Milking' schedule by The Homestead Prairie

So far, I really like this schedule.....
 I separate mama and babies at night, milk after morning chores, and then let them be together all day.
                                     ........and am planning on sticking with it!
.
Since our goats are dwarf sized.... there is no need of big buckets or jars! I have a small stainless steel pail that I keep ice water and vodka (yep, you read that right - hubby wasn't too impressed) and keep it in the freezer. (the vodka keeps the ice water from freezing). It stays super cold.

When I'm ready to go to the barn.... I grab the pail, and stick in a glass jar. Thus, I milk on ice!


                                    


When finished, I screw on a white plastic cap and take to the house. I run the milk through a reusable coffee filter (my mom always used cheesecloth), write the date on the lid with a dry erase marker and stick in the fridge!

"My udder wash consists of a few drops of Shaklee Basic H2, a drop of Tea Tree Oil and water. There are many different washes to choose from, but they are often made with bleach and chemicals. I don’t like the having bleach/chemicals on my goats or in my milk. Basic H2 is an all natural, safe, organic cleaner - a few drops go a very LONG way!" 



I have to say, I love all my little goats, and wouldn't trade them for a regular sized goat or milk cow for anything in the world!



 If, you are interested in Nigerian Dwarf Dairy goats, Margo over at the Lil' Red Barn has the best herd around this area. She has great bloodlines and prices. She loves her goats and is more than willing to help the little guy get started!

 I call her for questions and was just at her place on Thursday. (She did the task of disbuding our two baby kids (poor things).......something I can't quite handle myself yet!)

Fiasco Farm also has a lot of helpful goat information.

Linked with:

Comments

  1. Hi! I love the Nigerian Dwarfs too. They do need a customized milking stand though Haha! We got ours from Grasse Acres, as she is local for us here in WI. I don't blame you for not wanted to do the disbudding. It's a "must do" thing as far as I'm concerned, but I don't particularly relish being the one to do it! (By the way, I found your post through the Homestead Barn Hop!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for stopping by Niki! we agree with disbudding being a 'must', but I think I'll let my breeder do it for the first few years to I get alittle more used to it. she doesn't charge us and is only about 20 min. from us - so that's worth it for now! As we start having more babies, I'm gonna have to tough up and do it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments:

Popular posts from this blog

Shaklee Basic H - 1001 uses

Crochet Pattern for Christmas Tree Skirt

Shaklee Basic H for Agriculture Use